What is an international tutor?
The international tutors at the University play a key role when the University hosts over 200 international students from 40 different countries every year. Each tutor has 4 or 5 students to take care of per term (8 to 10 per academic year). The busiest times for tutors are the end of August and beginning of September and January. You have to be prepared to set aside plenty of time for your students then.
As an international tutor you
- help students adjust to culture and student life in Finland and Rovaniemi
- get in touch with incoming students even before their exchange starts
- meet your students when they arrive in Rovaniemi
- help students with housing, banking and registration
- give students advice on practical academic matters like using WebOodi and registering for courses.
Becoming a tutor
Any degree student at the University can apply to become a tutor. You receive a modest fee for the work; the money is mainly intended to cover the expenses involved in tutoring over the year. If you plan to go abroad yourself on an exchange, work as a tutor is an advantage when universities decide on exchange places.
Interested? Seize the opportunity and apply to become an international tutor:
- Fill out the online application form by Wed May 31st.
- Take part in the training for tutors
As an international tutor you are part of the University’s international team. You will receive support and training for the job. We'll have the next training on Mon 5.6. 12–15. You can join us in AC as well: https://connect.funet.fi/internationaloffice2/