Before the exchange
When, what, where?
Going abroad to study involves a lot of hard questions. The first things you should ask yourself are: What language can I get by in? Whereabouts in the world do I want to go? At what point in my degree work? Want do I want to study? What kind of work do I want to do?
Look at the mobility guidelines for your faculty in Your Ticket to Ride
When to apply?
Application periods for the exchange are for the next academic year
Bilateral and n2n universities outside of Europe
• application period: 15 October – 15 November
• Decisions made by 15 December
European schools through the Erasmus+, Nordplus, Nordlys and FIRST programmes
• application period: 15 December – 31 January
• Decisions made by 28 February
Additional call for still available destinations (only Spring semester for the next academic year)
• application period: 1 May – 31 May
• Decisions made by 30 June
Choose where to go
The host institutions for your faculty or major are listed in the guide Your Ticket to Ride. More detailed descriptions are available in the SoleMOVE system.
Apply at the University of Lapland
Apply for an exchange electronically through the SoleMOVE system
1. Take a closer look at the directions for applying in the guide Your Ticket to Ride
2. Begin the application process by choosing the appropriate type of mobility and exchange period. Check the call for applications.
3. Remember the following required attachments
• Learning Agreement - before mobility
• Transcript of Records
• letter of motivation
• language certificate.
Wait for the results from the University of Lapland
The University of Lapland chooses the applicants to be selected for the different host universities. The criteria are presented in detail in Your Ticket to Ride. You will be informed of the University’s decision by email.
Attend the orientation
When you have been recorded as an applicant for an exchange, you will receive an invitation to a compulsory orientation session, where you’ll get help with the application process, planning exchange studies, applying for a grant and taking care of the other paperwork involved.
Apply to the host university
1. Wait for directions on applying, which will come from the International Coordinator or directly from the host university.
2. Update your Learning Agreement and ask the International Coordinator to sign it.
3. Apply to the host university in accordance with the directions you have received.
Wait for the results from the host university
The host university makes the final decision on which applicants are accepted. If selected, you will receive a letter of acceptance within about a month of the application deadline.
Apply for a mobility grant
All students going on an exchange through agreements made by the University of Lapland receive a grant.
• Log into the SoleGRANT program through the SoleMOVE system. The details of your exchange will be updated automatically and used as the basis of your grant application
• Scan and attach the letter of acceptance and the (Learning Agreement) signed by 3 parties
• If you are going to Erasmus+ exchange please do the OLS language assesment and scan and attach the completed grant application (Erasmus+ Grant Agreement).
• You will be informed of the decision by email when your application has been processed.