ANNUAL DEVELOPMENT DISCUSSION AND PERFORMANCE EVALUATION FOR THE NEW SALARY SYSTEM - Spring 2006
Topics and questions to prepare for the development discussion
The performance development review meeting is an opportunity for staff members and supervisors to lay the groundwork for evaluating job demands and individual performance in an atmosphere of cooperation and shared understanding. The present questionnaire is to be used in conjunction with the official forms for the new salary system. Covering all the areas addressed in the questionnaire will hopefully lead the interlocutors to evaluations that are experienced as fair and just. Similarly, whenever a shared understanding cannot be reached, the preceding discussion should ease the task of defining the differences of opinion for documentation in the official forms.
Documents relating to the new salary system and the performance development review meeting can be downloaded from: www.ulapland.fi/current topics/the new salary system
The development discussion is conducted against the background of information concerning the staff member’s work contract, job responsibilities, education and employment history.
Overview of tasks and responsibilities
(both supervisor and employee list key tasks and responsibilities connected with the job in advance of the meeting)
Use the form provided:
Job description and evaluation form for teaching staff
Follow the procedure agreed with your supervisor (e.g. whether to provide him/her with a copy of your draft version in advance of the meeting) and bring along your own copy to the meeting.
Discussing the challenges and successes experienced by the employee and evaluation of personal performance in relation to job responsibilities and the work environment.
1. What are you particularly pleased with when considering your work activities during the past year?
2. What have been the biggest challenges in your work? How have you managed to cope with them?
3. In evaluating the performance of teaching staff the following criteria are applied:
- Quality and results
- Responsibility and activity in the work community
How are “proficiency”, “quality and results”, and “responsibility and activity in the work community” expressed in your work? What do these criteria mean in practice?
Which of your activities represent top-end performance, and which a middle level? When and in what respect did your performance drop below that, for one reason or another?
Go through your performance with respect to all the criteria listed, referring to specific examples throughout.
In completing this section, follow also at the official guidelines for evaluating the personal work performance of teaching personnel.
As you can see from the form entitled Overall evaluation, the performance evaluation is meant to provide an overall rating. It is suggested to leave the decision on this overall rating to the very end of the meeting since information relevant to the evaluation may emerge during the discussion.
In the new salary system, performance is evaluated using the criteria listed above. Are there any other criteria that you consider relevant in evaluating your performance?
4. What sort of flexibility, initiative and development did it take to manage your job successfully?
5. Do you have skills and abilities that you would like to utilize more fully/widely in your job?
| Role of supervisor and work relations
1. How has your supervisor succeeded in creating the conditions for you to fulfill your responsibilities? Do you have any requests or suggestions regarding your supervisor’s role and activities?
2. What about cooperation in your unit/group? Are there agreed ground rules and how well do they function?
3. How have you managed to resolve conflicts and other difficulties? What have you learnt from these experiences?
4. How about cooperation with other groups or units and with external partners? How have you managed in these?
1. What changes or new challenges do you foresee in your work?
2. Does the previous discussion suggest any particular need for development? If so, what is the development needed? How could you respond to the needs identified? What are the means available, and which would be your preferred option?
Personal development targets
Document any development targets (new knowledge, skills or behaviours) that have been agreed for the upcoming period. Agree also on follow-up.
Documentation concerning the new salary system
Compare your job description in section A, including any adjustments arising from the previous discussion, to the official tables concerning job demands for teaching staff.
Make sure to carry out the comparison for each of the factors separately, i.e. nature of work and responsibilities, required communication and relationship skills and required knowledge, training and experience.
Decide on an overall rating for your personal performance in the light of the previous discussion and according to the guidelines from the Ministry of Education and your own university.
In addition, attach information for the preceding year concerning the following:
Supervised Ph.D. theses (completed)
Supervised Ph.D. theses (in progress)
Supervised Master’s theses (completed)
Supervised Master’s theses (in progress)