This page is for visiting lecturers coming to the University of Lapland. Below you will find information on travelling to Rovaniemi, accomodation options, how to get to the university, and maps of the city. If you have any questions concerning your visit, please email the coordinator who you have been in contact with regarding your visit.
Welcome to the University of Lapland!
Travelling to Rovaniemi
Being the capital of Lapland, and don’t forget - the home of Santa Clause, Rovaniemi is a major center of transporation in the region. It can be accessed by bus, train, and plane. Please have a look at the links below to see the different timetables and prices associated with traveling to Rovaniemi.
- VR (Finnish National Railway Service)
- Finnair (Daily flights from Helsinki to Rovaniemi)
- Air Baltic (Flights to Rovaniemi from May 2010 on)
- Kayak (Search engine for international flights)
There is an Airport Express bus that travels from the airport to the city center which costs €5 to take. Have a look here for information about transportation to the city if arriving at the Rovaniemi airport.
Where to Stay
There are many types of accomodation in Rovaniemi available to suit your needs depending on your length of stay. Please have a look at the listings below:
Additionally, there is a University Guest House located next to the campus which can be reserved for visiting academics depending on availability. Please contact tilapalvelut[at]ulapland.fi for more information about staying at the guest house.
Getting to the University
Once you have arrived in Rovaniemi and to your arranged accomodation, you will need to know how to get to the university. Fortunately, Rovaniemi is a relatively small city and many places are accessible by bus, bicycle, or even walking. Depending on the location of your accomodation, we suggest the following methods to reach the university:
- Bus: Bus #4, #14, and #2 travel from the city center to the front of the university. Ask the reception at your accomodation for the closest bus stop from which you can get on one of these buses. You can pay bus fare to the bus driver when entering the bus. Have a look here to see the local bus routes, timetables, and ticket prices in Rovaniemi.
- Walking: the university’s address is Yliopistonkatu 8 and is located on the south side of the city, next to Lake Harjulampi. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to reach the university from the city center by foot. There is a foot/bicycle path all the way down Yliopistonkatu to the university from which some nice nature views can be seen.
- Taxi: There are numerous taxis available for transport around the city. It may be helpful to have the university’s address (Yliopistonkatu 8) or the address of your accomodation written on a piece of paper to show the taxi driver where you want to go. Have a look here for more information about 24 hour taxi service in Rovaniemi.
If you are interested in renting a car during your visit, please have at look at the options listed here.
Here are a few maps to help you familiarize yourself with the city of Rovaniemi and see the locations of some relevant places you may visit during your stay. An additional downloadable PDF map of the main building campus is available on Files menu.