General Information for Arctic Studies Programme Applicants
These are general guidelines on how to apply to the University of Lapland’s Arctic Studies Programme (ASP). The ASP is a multidisciplinary programme that provides comprehensive knowledge about the physical, environmental, social, and cultural aspects of the Arctic. The ASP is organized and coordinated by the Arctic Centre and the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Lapland,. It is designed for Finnish and foreign degree students, exchange students, and special groups.
Please be advised of the following dates and requirements:
- The application process is conducted via University of Lapland Online Application System for International Mobility (SoleMove). The process has two steps:
1) Exchange Student Nomination and
2) Applicant filling in the Online Application
- Application Deadlines:
1) Deadline for nominations for autumn semester and full year admission is April 30.
2) The application deadline to study for the full academic year or for only the autumn semester is May 15.
- Applicants must meet the following criteria in order to participate in the ASP:
a) Completed at least two years of university studies (official certificate or transcript)
b) Currently enrolled at a university or a university graduate with a completed degree (official certificate)
c) Have a good command/understanding of the English language
- Applicants who are enrolled at a university in Finland (other than the University of Lapland) should apply for Joo-study right (joustava opinto-oikeus). More information on Joo-study right
- Please complete the application form by carefully answering all items. Have a look at the university Academic Calendar to fill in the proposed period of study.
- Remember to Enclose the required documents before submitting the application.
Step 1: Exchange Student Nomination by the Partner University / Applicant's Home University
1. We request that nomination of incoming students are submitted by email
to international.relations(at)ulapland.fi by the international coordinator of applicant's home university. Please see below the required information by nomination.
ASP Applicants who have competed their degree and are not enrolled at an institution of higher education should submit the required information personally to international.relations(at)ulapland.fi.
2. Deadline for nominations for Autumn semester and Full Year Admission is April 30
Partner universities are welcome to nominate students also after the deadlines, but please be aware that it may not be possible to offer housing assistance to students who are nominated and/or applying late.
3. Please inform us for each of your students
1) applicant’s name
2) date of birth
4) duration of the exchange
5) EU subject area at home institution
6) EU subject area at host institution
Eu Subject area code used for ASP in ULapland:
Faculty of Social Sciences 3
4. International Office will review the nominations and send e-mail to these students with detailed application instructions.
Step 2: Applicant filling in the Online Application
1. Application Deadlines: The application deadline to study for the full academic year or for only the autumn semester is May 15.
2. Applicant should fill in the online application on SoleMove –system by using the user name and password received by email from SoleMove system (after the nomination from home university). The email includes also the Guidebook for SoleMove.
The Guidebook is also accessible on the SoleMove -pages.
4. Application must be sent through the SoleMove system only with the required attachments, no hard copies must be sent. Applicants can keep track of their application status online in the system but will also receive e-mails when the admission decision is made.
Required Enclosures to the Application
After completing the online application form, the following documents must be attached. Documents can be submitted in Finnish, Swedish, or English (NOTE: All copies must be officially certified!).
Applicants nominated by partner universities (Erasmus, Nordplus/Nordlys, First, North2north, or bilateral agreements) must provide:
- Letter of Motivation
- ECTS learning agreement
- Transcript of Academic Records
Requirements for applicants who are not from partner universities
- A study certificate if you are enrolled at an institution of higher education or a certificate of completed degree
- An official Transcript of Academic Records from your university or college registrar’s office
- Letter of Motivation
- ECTS learning agreement
- A certificate of your knowledge of English, e.g. TOEFL, or other language tests. Not required if you have secondary education in English in one of the Nordic Countries (Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, or Sweden), Great Britain, Ireland, the U.S.A., Canada, Australia or New Zealand or if you have completed a university level degree in English in one of the European Union countries.
In order to fill in the Learning Agreement
part of the application, please see the courses in the electronic course catalogue WebOODI
(Search by study guide - Faculty of Social Sciences - Arctic Studies Programme).
Please be advised that students participating in the ASP will have to pay a portion of the travel costs, accommodation, and food during ASP excursions and field trips.
For more information about the application process, please have a look at our Frequently Asked Questions
*All applications will be reviewed by the relevant faculty. Please note that the University of Lapland reserves the right to examine each potential applicants’ eligibility and to determine formal acceptance accordingly.
For more infomation about participating in the Arctic Studies Programme, contact the International Studies Coordinator of the University of Lapland:
For infomation about becoming a member of a research project:
- International Studies Coordinator
International Relations Office
Tel. +358 (0)40 484 4195
- Fax +358 (0)16 341 4222
- Go to the web-pages of the Arctic Centre www.arcticcentre.org or
- Contact the Arctic Centre:
The University of Lapland
FI-96101 Rovaniemi, Finland