LYY- Services and Clubs
The Student Union (LYY) organises different services and activities for its members. Below are some examples of groups and activities the students will have access to with their Student Union membership or are available to students while studying in Rovaniemi.
Erasmus Student Network (ESN) Lapland
ESN Lapland is an informal society within the Student Union which is a forum for every student to participate in. It also serves a chance for students to meet each other and spend time together. All students and members of staff who are interested in international experiences are welcome to participate in the activities. International students are warmly welcome to organize activities together with local students. You can get more information on the activities through the Internationallist or by sending an e-mail to esn(at)lyy.fi. You can also find ESN Lapland group on Facebook.
The Student Union publishes a newspaper eight times a year called Lapin Ylioppilaslehti. It contains general news about student life in Finland as well as local news. All students are encouraged to contribute articles and pictures to the newspaper. E-mail address: lehti(at)lyy.fi.
The Student Union offers its members a number of sports facilities: aerobics, badminton, basketball, football, gym, volleyball, ultimate frisbee etc. Most are available free of charge with Student Sport pass (EUR 25 per academic year). The Student Union also offers various courses during semesters, e.g., climbing, dancing and snowboarding. General information on student sports will be sent on the Internationallist. At the Student Union office students can rent equipment such as skates, skis, and badminton racquets. If you need advice, please send and e-mail to Mika.Vettainen(at)ramk.fi. For more information see also www.ulapland.fi/sportservices
Sport facilities in Rovaniemi
Rovaniemi is known as an active sports town - you can do any sport from golf to gymnastics. Winter sports, e.g. cross-country skiing and alpine skiing, are especially popular hobbies among the locals. Here are some resources:
Cultural activities consist of cultural clubs (e.g. chamber orchestra, choir) and student events. You can get more information on cultural activities by sending an email to kulttuuri(at)lyy.fi . During the year, there are many public parties arranged by students, but here are some major student events organised by the Student Union and Café Tivoli:
- Overall Party - Haalaribileet: The first big party of the spring semester at Tivoli .
- Beach Party - Rantabileet: Summer in Rovaniemi in February.
- Shrovetide - Laskiainen: A real winter party in February; no lectures in the afternoon. Sledging and snow football are essential part of the celebration.
- May Day - Vappu: Students celebrate May Day all over the country. Practically everybody is out wearing overalls and the traditional white student caps. The action kicks off on April 30th in the afternoon with various activities organised by the Student Union. Spring is also welcomed with speeches. The Statue of the Lumberjack is washed and has a white student cap put on his head. May Day celebrations continue in less official forms all around the town. On May 1, all the students have the traditional Vappu buffet.
- First-year Student Party - Fuksiaiset: Every year in September - a party dedicated to first year students
- "Little Christmas" - pikkujoulut: “Little Christmas” parties are arranged as much as a month before Christmas. .
- Independence Day - Itsenäisyyspäivä: December 6. Traditional programme in the morning at the University and the Lutheran Church of Rovaniemi.
Student Theatre LYT (Lapin Ylioppilasteatteri)
The Student Union has a long tradition of cooperation with the Student Theatre, known as LYT. The theatre presents plays in the culture house Wiljami (address Urheilukatu 1) performed by students from the University and other institutions in Rovaniemi. If you are interested in taking part in the student theatre or performances, please do not hesitate to get in touch or stop by. Tickets are sold at the door and you will get discount with a student card. Wiljami also hosts live music performances and other cultural events.
Lapin Ylioppilasteatteri LYT
Clubs and other student associations
Each faculty has its own student associations or clubs (ainejärjestö). These associations arrange seminars, social events and excursions. All students, Finnish and international, are encouraged to participate in association events. Almost all associations have an international representative. Please do not hesitate to get in touch.
Student associations (field of study):