Thesis Layout and Format Requirements
Title Page / Abstract
Students should note that each faculty has thesis requirements that are to be respected, and that to avoid delays during the completion and evaluation stages of the thesis work, students are encouraged to implement these specific requirements as early as possible. This can best be done by:
- Become acquainted with the master’s theses that have already been accepted by your faculty. This can be done either by visiting the University library or by browsing the GRADU or LAUDA thesis databases on the Library’s web-pages.
- Reading through the information and documents provided by your faculty, concerning such details as required font type; line spacing and margin spaces; use of table of contents; page numbering; the use of headings; incorporating figures, tables, and appendices; and especially how to make proper source references.
Nonetheless, there are some common University of Lapland rules that dictate the layout of a Master’s thesis, in particular the “Title Page” and the thesis “Abstract”.
- With a thesis Title Page, only the following information is to be provided:
- Your full name
- THE TITLE OF THE THESIS (with capital letters)
- Pro gradu -thesis
- The major and/or master programme
- The academic semester (Fall or Spring) and year of submitting the thesis
- To see how this information is to be presented, check the Sample Thesis Title Page on the right side of the page.
The Summary/Abstract of a Pro Gradu Thesis
A pro gradu thesis delivered to the University of Lapland has to include a short summary written according to a unified model in all the faculties of the university.
- The summary is enclosed to each copy of the pro gradu thesis.
- Your thesis Abstract must be written as follows:
- Be short, clear description of the contents of the thesis (max. 250 words)
- Include all conclusions and pieces of new information included in the thesis
- Presents the purpose, methods, results, and conclusions of the research
- Outlines the contents in the same way as the thesis it is based on
- Written on one sheet (A4) and divided into paragraphs;
- Each faculty will give more detailed information on drawing up thesis abstracts
- If a thesis is part of some wider project, then the project should additionally be mentioned in the abstract.
- Also, if there is a Confidentiality Request, one must ensure that the title of the thesis and the contents of the thesis abstract are presented in such a way that they do not have to be declared confidential.
- A thesis Summary/Abstract must be written on a specific template document which can be downloaded on the right sidebar.