International Studies Field School
The International Studies Field School takes advantage of our special location to provide an opportunity for students to learn about the peoples and environments of the region first-hand.
- At the University of Lapland, the Arctic Centre’s Arctic Studies Program (ASP) was among the first to organize student excursions to the Kola Peninsula (starting in 1992), and together with our partners in Northwest Russia, offers a wealth of experience in this challenging and dynamic part of the world.
- The International Studies Field School is organized by the Arctic Centre and the Faculty of Social Sciences.
- In addition to regular excursions to the Kola Peninsula, the International Studies Field School also organizes academic trips of different length and content within Finnish Lapland and other areas of the Barents Region.
Students and Studies
The International Studies Field School is open to University of Lapland’s degree students, international exchange students, and northern professionals who would like to improve their knowledge of the North. The language of teaching in these field courses is English.
- More information on structure of studies and courses is available in WebOodi.
- Participants will be charged an excursion fee to cover the travel costs, accommodation and food. Excursions will be arranged only if there are enough participants.
- Please note that the University of Lapland do not have any funds available to support students in need of financial assistance. Students must be prepared to meet all expenses from private funds or from scholarships obtained in their own country.
Coordination and Contacts
The International Studies Coordinator is responsible for the practical implementation of these courses, as well as other practical matters such as disseminating information about the courses and scheduling in close contact with the teaching staff.
International Studies Coordinator
University of Lapland
International Relations Office
Tel. +358 (0)40 484 4195
Fax +358 (0)16 362941