Degree: Master of Social Science (M.Soc.Sc.)
Major subject: Tourism Research
Credits: 120 ECTS
Duration of studies: 2 years (full time)
Application period: December 1st 2017 – January 15th, 2018
Start date: September 1st
Student selection results: March 26th 2018
What will you learn?
- To understand the relationship between management and culture as a basis for responding to contemporary tourism challenges and trends
- To understand the economic and socio-cultural principles that spur tourism production and consumption
- To develop and manage tourism in an ethically and socially responsible fashion
- To use research methodologies to gain deep insights into tourism as an economic and socio-cultural phenomenon
To be eligible you must have:
- a bachelor’s degree in the field of tourism OR a bachelor’s degree from another field of study containing the minimum of 60 credits (basic and intermediate level studies) in tourism
- a good command of English language for academic purposes
The Master’s degree programme in Tourism, Culture and International Management (TourCIM) has been created to meet the demand for professionals with the ability to develop responsible tourism strategies and policies. The two-year Master’s degree programme gives you the opportunity to advance your knowledge and understanding of contemporary tourism and responsible business practices and strategies. TourCIM programme offers an exceptional combination of current issues in management, tourism and cultural studies.
Often Master’s degree programmes in tourism and hospitality focus on management and marketing. However, the TourCIM programme is based on the belief that the socio-cultural dimension is essential in fully understanding and implementing responsible tourism. Our teaching and research reflect this belief and consider the socio-cultural dimension as fundamental in gaining a more comprehensive view of tourism as a social and economic phenomenon.
TOURCIM degree structure
TourCIM provides a sound grounding for many tourism-related careers. It prepares you for spotting opportunities, working innovatively and critically evaluating tourism practices and policies. The programme will boost your credentials as a tourism and hospitality professional in private and public tourism organisations, or help you develop your own business. The TourCIM degree will open up a range of career paths in fields such as:
- service development;
Studying in Lapland
Tess van den Brink is a city girl from the Netherlands and one of the many international students who decided to study in the Master’s Degree Programme in Tourism, Culture and International Management.
"First I was like: “Why should I go to Lapland?” I mean, it’s so far
away! But then I started doing research on the Finnish education system
and found out that it’s really good. And that they really promote
independency among students here in Finland in general"
>> Read the whole story