Degree: Master of Arts in Education
Major subject: Media Education
Credits: 120 ECTS
Duration of studies: 2 years
is no application period in year 2020.
What will you learn?
Media Education aims to develop profound media competences, literacy and multiliteracies through three themes:
1. Media in teaching and learning
2. Media in society
3. Media and psychosocial well-being
To be eligible you must have:
- a BA or equivalent degree in a relevant field of study (for example media education, education, social sciences, humanities, engineering science or media science)
- a good command of English language for academic purposes
1. When exploring the theme "Media in teaching and learning", you will learn how media and information and communication technology
(ICT) can be used in teaching and learning in a pedagogically
2. The theme "Media in society" introduces you to the role of media in society and the
historical and philosophical foundations of critical media education.
Read how this theme is dealt with in one example course assignment.
3. The theme "Media and psychosocial well-being" introduces you to the roles of media in the psychosocial
well-being of individuals and communities, especially from the
viewpoints of emotional and cognitive processes, behaviour, identity,
social relations, and sense of community.
What are they actually studying? Take a look at the curriculum for Media education for current students: Media Education degree structure
The Master’s degree in Media Education will open up career paths for you as an expert in a variety of fields, for example:
• educational planning (e.g. online learning)
• adult education
• policy making & supervision
• public communications
• project management
• academic research
Your future employers could include e.g. media companies, municipal or local governments, educational institutions, civic organizations, and private entrepreneurs.
Studying in Lapland
While mingling with our friendly teachers and students from all over the world, making your own academic path, you will have achieved your goals before you even know it. The extraordinary Aurora Borealis, amazing blue moment - kaamos, delightful midnight sun in summertime, mystical polar nights in wintertime, and many other natural wonders make Rovaniemi one of the most unique places to study in the world. That is why studying in Lapland combines one of the best educational systems in the world with adventure you will only find in the North.
>> Read what our students say