Teacher Education of the Arctic region: Diversity and Identity in the North
27th – 28th of November 2017, University of Lapland, Rovaniemi
The Thematic Network Symposium on ‘Teacher Education of the Arctic region: Diversity and Identity in the North’ is being held in Rovaniemi over the 27th and 28th of November, 2017. This symposium is part of the Arctic Council’s Sustainable Development Working Group’s project ‘Teacher Education for Diversity and Equality in the Arctic’. This project is being co-ordinated by the UArctic Thematic Network of Teacher Education for Social Justice and Diversity in Education. The symposium has also been organised in conjunction with the FERA Conference on Education.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Sunday, November the 26th
Optional: 18.00 Get-together.
Monday, November the 27th (Room F2059, F-wing)
09.45-10.00 Morning coffee/tea
10.00-10.10 Welcome: Prof. and TN Leader, Tuija Turunen, UoL.
10.10-10.30 Introduction of new members of the TN
10.30-12.00 Joint research agenda of TN
13.00-14.30 Workshop: TN’s joint agenda for teaching co-operation
14.30-14.45 Break: coffee/tea
14.45-15.45 Workshop continues
15.45-16.00 Conclusion of the day
Tuesday, November the 28th (Room F2059, F-wing)
09.45-10.00 Morning coffee/tea
10.00-10.15 Program of the day
10.15-12.00 Workshop: TN’s joint research agenda—Seeing Education in Northern Eyes
13.00-14.00 Workshop continues
14.00-14.15 Break: coffee/tea
14.15-15.00 Symposium concluding thoughts and landmarks for future cooperation
Wednesday, November the 29th
Optional: Celebrating 100 Years – Arctic Child and Youth Programme in the Arktikum (at own cost; part of the FERA)
Thursday, November the 30th and Friday, December the 1st
Optional: The FERA Conference on Education 2017 (at own cost)
During the Symposium, you are able to stay in University housing in a single room for €35 a night. FULLY BOOKED!
Reservations have been made at the Scandic Hotel under the name UArctic Thematic Network. Rooms are priced as €98 for a single and €108 for a twin. This price includes breakfast, wifi, gym and use of the sauna. This offer is available until the 5th of November.
Here are some links for alternative accommodation:
- To and from the airport: You can get to the University or the city from the airport by taking an airport bus. It will cost 12 euros and take about 20 minutes. More information available here http://www.airportbus.fi/?language=en
- To the University: If you are staying in the city centre during your visit, you can get to the University by taking bus number 4 from the Ruokasenkatu bus stop. A bus ticket will cost approximately 3-4 euros (for more information on buses here). Alternatively, it is approximately a 40 minute walk to the university from the city centre along picturesque lakes and the river.
- Taxi: If needed a taxi can be ordered through this number +358 16 106 410.
Things to see and do:
The information centre is located in Lordi Square (www.visitrovaniemi.fi) in the city centre. For some ideas:
Other important information:
- The emergency phone number in Finland is 112
- Pharmacy: Sampo Apteekki Rovakatu 28, 96200 Rovaniemi, Suomi
- Hospital: Lapland Central Hospita
- Weather: FORECA
Satu-Maarit Frangou, firstname.lastname@example.org
Saana Korva, email@example.com