EU/EEA citizens

Citizens of EU/EEA and Switzerland are not required to have a residence permit for Finland and are free to reside and work if the duration of the stay is less than three months. Also visa requirements do not concern citizens of other Nordic and EU countries because of agreements that exempt the citizens of those countries from the need to obtain a visa.

In addition to Finland, the member states of the European Union (EU) are: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxemburg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

The same regulations of free movement also concern citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway based on the EEA agreement and Switzerland based on a special agreement with the EU.

If a foreigner from another EU/EEA country intends to reside in Finland for more than three months it will be done through the e-service Enter Finland. The right of residence must be registered before the end of the three-month period. As of 1 January 2017, after submitting the application EU citizens should book an appointment at a service point of the Finnish Immigration Service, Ruokasenkatu 2. After this More information in here. The registration must be done in person at the local police. Please read more information concerning registration from the section ”Things to do after arrival”. More detailed information about registration is also available on the website of the Finnish Police.

The address of the local police station is Hallituskatu 1–3.
Our website uses cookies, read more. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. [I Agree]