Mandatory Insurance

The University of Lapland’s policy on student insurance requires that all international students obtain their own insurance, and that the coverage be valid for the entire duration of the student’s stay at the university.

This means that a student must have an insurance policy or equivalent documentation which states his/her personal information and the period of validity of the insurance (i.e. equivalent documentation means the social security arrangements agreed upon between the EU/EEA countries). The insurance must cover medical care and personal injury, and should also contain liability coverage for loss or damage.

Proof of valid insurance coverage is required upon registration at the University of Lapland.

EU regulations on social security apply in Finland: EU (and EEA) citizens receive medical services from the public health system and the Finnish Social Insurance Institution (KELA), even during short stays.

All EU/EEA students are required to obtain the European Health Insurance Card from their home country and to carry it with them at all times. The card entitles the student to treatment in the case of sudden illness or accident, at the same price as Finns pay. The European Health Insurance Card is also needed when travelling to EEA countries during your stay in Rovaniemi. Please note that this card only covers emergency treatment, so you must take out additional insurance before you travel. Please, contact your local authorities to obtain the card, and make sure that you have all required documents concerning social security and health care coverage before you come to Finland.

NOTE for Doctoral students: Doctoral students are not eligible to use the health care services offered by the Finnish Student Health Service (YTHS in Finnish) and thus should have separate health insurance to cover non-acute medical treatment.

Students are strongly advised to purchase a good medical and accident insurance before arrival in University of Lapland and Finland in general and one good option, negotiated by Finnish Universities, is the Marsh Student Insurance Program SIP.

Student Insurance Program SIP, Insurance for International Students

SIP has been specifically designed for people staying abroad on a temporary basis.
This is also the insurance solution that Finnish institutions have negotiated for their international students.

SIP packages are particularly useful for non EU/EEA students to facilitate the application for residence permits as these cannot be granted without valid health insurance. But SIP can of course also be bought by EU students should they wish to have private additional health insurance during their stay in Finland.

SIP offers two types of insurance solutions for covering healthcare costs:

SIP Complement: If you already have a basic mutual healthcare cover (or if you have access to the national or student health care system), the SIP Complement option will reimburse your medical costs in full after the allowance refunded by your health fund.

SIP Integral: If you are not a member of a health fund (or if you don’t have access to the national or student health care system), then the SIP Integral option is meant for you. Your treatment costs will be refunded to you in full, from the first euro.

Check the details of SIP insurance on the folder in the right side bar. To buy the SIP insurance please go to This website allows you to purchase your health insurance online with a credit card. More information also on Study in Finland -pages.

Finnish Immigration Serivce's policy of Students' Heath Insurance

Finnish Immigration Service has the following policy of Students’ Health Insurance in order a non-EU citizen to receive residence permit to Finland. As immigration policy is subject to change, all international applicants should consult the  Finnish Immigration Service for up-to-date information regarding residence permits and the rules and regulations concerning them. Students must attach details of their comprehensive health insurance cover to their application. Comprehensive insurance cover means insurance which includes the types of treatment and costs that are covered by municipal health care services and the health insurance system.

It is a precondition for obtaining a residence permit that the student has valid health insurance cover with a reliable and solvent company or institution.

  • For studies of less than two years in duration, a student must have private insurance which primarily covers the costs of medical treatment up to 100,000 euros.
  • Where the duration of the studies is two years or more, a student will usually have a home municipality in Finland and is therefore entitled to municipal health care services. In such cases, it is sufficient for the insurance to primarily cover the cost of medicines (in practice the cover extends to doctor’s fees and costs of treatment and examination), up to 30,000 euros.

A student must have insurance cover when applying for a residence permit as without it a residence permit cannot be granted. In principle a residence permit cannot be issued for a period exceeding the period of the insurance cover. The student him- or herself is responsible for taking care of the health insurance being valid during the whole residence time in Finland.