Checklist for Outgoing Exchange Students

Before departure
During your stay
After your exchange



  • Confirm your exchange in SoleMOVE
  • Apply for a grant in SoleGRANT
  • Upload the Letter of Acceptance from your host university to SoleMOVE and SoleGRANT
  • Read the Information Letter for exchange students that will be updated in the beginning of summer and in the middle of autumn.
  • Keep your contact information up to date in SoleMOVE and at the International Relations Office, including your address abroad.



Apply for accommodation before leaving. The host institution usually helps  incoming exchange students with accommodation. The costs of housing, however, depend on type of housing, country and size of city. In capitals and big cities rents are higher and finding accommodation might be more difficult. Furthermore, in Canada and USA the cost of living in the campus might be relatively high compared to the price level in Finland, but on the other hand full maintenance is usually included. In some cases the student might have to find accommodation without  help of the host university.

Registration at the University of Lapland

A student studying abroad must register as an attending student at the home university. If the student wants to use the benefits brought by the membership of the Student Union, the student should also pay the Student Union membership fee, but this is not compulsory, unless the student is planning on completing courses at ULapland during the exchange. If you are not planning on completing courses at ULapland during your exchange period, and therefore will not pay the Student Union membership fee, please contact opinto(a), so they can update your study information.


Finnish Student Financial Aid of Kela

A student who is eligible for the Financial Aid of Kela is also entitled to the Financial aid of Kela while studying abroad when the studies form a part of the degree in Finland and when the studies last at least 2 months non-stop. For more information check

Student exchange grants

Students studying in the University of Lapland fill in the grant application in the SoleGRANT system. More information about applying for the grant can be found here. The grant is meant to help outgoing students with their travel costs.

Grants on the academic year 2015-2016

Residence permits and visas

EU Citizens  

Citizens of the EU countries do not need visas for other EU countries. However, usually one has to apply for a residence permit after arriving to the host country when the stay lasts more than 3 months. A residence permit will be granted by fulfilling the following conditions:

  • the student is registered at the approved institution
  • the student has a health insurance
  • the student is able to certify wealth for the duration of the stay


Non-EU Citizens

If the outgoing exchange student is not a citizen of the EU or a country belonging to the European Economic Area (EEA), he or she should check the requirements for the residence permit which usually depends on the host country and the nationality of the student.

The general principles for residence permits are:

  • In general the student has to apply for a residence permit for the duration of the exchange period. The student should contact the nearest consulate of the host country before the exchange period.
  • If the exchange period is carried out in another country belonging to the Schengen area and exchange duration is maximum of 3 months, the student can stay in the country with the Finnish residence permit.
  • The following Erasmus member countries are not part of the Schengen area: Bulgaria, Ireland, Great Britain, Cyprus, Liechtenstein, Romania and Turkey. Students doing their exchange period in these countries should apply for a separate residence permit before the exchange period.
  • Usually the exchange period is more than 3 months which means that the student has to apply for a separate residence permit to the host country.
  • Note that the process of receiving the residence permit may take some time and hence the application process should be started in time. 

Nordic citizens
do not need a visa or a residence permit to other Nordic countries.

In case you are travelling outside the EU, you will probably need a visa or a residence permit. The process for the application might take weeks or months, so one should apply for a visa or a residence permit in time. You can contact the embassy of the host country to find out more information about the application process and which documents are needed. The most common documents for visas are:

  • the certificate of admission from the host university
  • clarification and certificate for funding the studies
  • passport size photos
  • a certificate about you insurance
  • a medical certificate
  • an extract from the criminal record



All students going to study abroad are advised to get at least a travel insurance for the duration of the exchange period, but in many cases also a health insurance is recommended and sometimes even mandatory. The insurance of the University of Lapland does not cover exchange periods.

The European Health Insurance Card

In addition to citizens of any Member State of the European Union, also citizens of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland who are insured or covered by the state social security system are eligible to applying for the European Health Insurance Card. The purpose of the card is to make it easier to access health care services abroad in member states.


Take a few brochures with you to introduce the University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Lapland and Finland. The University of Lapland also has some promotional material that you can take with you to the host university.


Financial issues

Be prepared for additional costs such as course books or copying. The host university can also require a mandatory insurance.


Keep a journal of your studies to ease the transferring of the credits after your exchange period. In case your study plan changes, don’t forget to make a new Learning Agreement that includes the signatures from both the sending and the host institution.

Changes to the length of your stay

If the length of your stay abroad changes, notify the changes to the International Relations Office and to the International Coordinator of your faculty immediately .

Letter of Confirmation

Before coming back to Finland, ask the host university to fill in the Letter of Confirmation (can be printed from the Ulapland web pages.

Transcript of Records

Ask for a Transcript of Records from your host university before returning home.

In case of emergency

Find out the local emergency number and the services provided by the host university in case of emergency. Also check up on the services of your insurance.


Paperwork after the exchange

After the exchange period all students must upload all of the following exchange documents to SoleMOVE:

  • Letter of Confirmation
  • Learning Agreement
  • Copy of Transcript of Records

All students are expected to ask their host universities to fill in the Letter of Confirmation to confirm the duration of the exchange period. These forms should be then returned to the International Relations Office of the University of Lapland within two weeks after the exchange period has ended. The host university might send the Transcript of Records after your exchange period either to you or to the International Relations Office.

The student should also give the exchange feedback/report within two weeks. Please give your feedback in the SoleMOVE system in the Feedback tab. If the period of study abroad is shorter than the student has informed, or if the student does not return the necessary documents, the scholarship that the student has received may be taken back. 

Credit transfer at the University of Lapland

The student should keep a careful track of his / her studies at the host university in order to ease the credit transfer after the exchange. That is to say that students should have all the course descriptions, workload, literature, essays etc. and a certificate for attending the courses.

After the exchange period the student should apply for credit transfer with a Credit transfer form. The credit transfer from language courses should be discussed with the Language Centre.

Sharing your experiences

Students are welcome to share their experiences at the student exchange information sessions organized by the International Relations Office.

International Café

The International Relations Office organizes International Café; a meeting point for all the returned exchange students. This is an opportunity to discuss and share your experiences with other students who have ended their exchange period recently or are about to go on exchange. You can also meet the staff of the International Relations Office at the International Café.