Visa and residence permit

Frequently asked questions concerning the visa and residence permit:

  • Do I need a visa to study in a degree programme?
  • How can I get a visa?
  • What is the application procedure to obtain a visa and residence permit?


  • After having received a Letter of Admission / Notification of Admittance or a similar document confirming your admission in one of the universities, please, contact the Finnish, Norwegian, Russian or Swedish embassy or consulate in your home country in order to find out if a visa or a residence permit is required.
    In case you will stay in Finland , Norway , Russia or Sweden up till 3 months you will need a visa. If you are planning to stay for more than 3 months then you will need a residence permit.
    Along with the visa / residence permit application you will, at a minimum, be required for the following documents:
    • Letter of Acceptance issued by the university you are going to study at;
    • Proof of financial funds sufficient to support oneself during the stay in the country (In Finland USD 400 (EUR 500) / study month, in Norway minimum of USD 1150 (NOK 8000) per month, in Russia USD 300 per month, in Sweden USD 670 per month).
    • Confirmation of housing, either through the university or private accommodation.
    • Document to prove the purchase of a travel insurance with medical cover.
< top
Verkkopalvelumme käyttää evästeitä, lue lisää evästeistä. Jatkamalla sivuston selailua hyväksyt evästeiden käytön. [Hyväksyn ehdot]