SUMMER SCHOOL ON PLAYFUL LEARNING 2018
University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Finland
Are you interested in Playful Learning Pedagogy as an approach to more effective 21st century learning? Would you like to understand key features of student-centered Education in Finland? Are you ready to experience the power of playful learning in the exotic Finnish Lapland?
The theme of this Summer School is playful -and gameful- learning based on research carried out at the University of Lapland. The programme provides research-based knowledge on Playful Learning Pedagogy and an Educator Toolkit for using play, games and digital technologies in teaching and learning for all ages. The surrounding nature plays a central role in this process and here it means a real adventure in the exiting capital of Lapland, in Rovaniemi area.
Together with the summer school participants, we will create a playful atmosphere for learning and developing competences that are crucial in implementing 21st century education.
TIMETABLE AND REGISTRATION
Online preparatory phase: 1st to 8th August
Training phase: 13th to 17th August
Total training phase: 1st to 17th August
Faculty of Education, University of Lapland
Playful Lapland project (2017-18)
More information about the City of Rovaniemi: www.rovaniemi.fi/en
1st to 8th August ONLINE PRE-STUDIES
- Preliminary material and tasks
13th to 17th August ONSITE TRAINING
(in Rovaniemi, Finland)
Monday 10 – 16pm
- Goals, content, methods and materials for the onsite training
- Introductory lectures: “Worldwide educational change and Finnish school in 21st century” and “Playful Learning Pedagogy”
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 8.30 – 16pm
- Play, games and playfulness in teaching and learning
- Insight into core elements of playful learning
- Design of playful learning processes
Friday 8.30 – 12pm
Elaboration and Closing
- Reflections and Evaluation
- Recognitions and Certificates of Achievement
WHAT WILL STUDENTS LEARN?
The Summer School enables participants:
- To understand the key features of Finnish Education System and learner-centered approach
- To promote teacher competences e.g. creative, collaborative and digital competences
- To learn the meaning of play and playfulness in curriculum-based learning and learning in all ages
- To develop playful learning processes based on the research-based pedagogical model
- To understand the role of play, games and novel technologies in 21st century education
- To apply playful learning in different educational contexts and levels
- To enhance playfulness in working life
WHO CAN APPLY?
Participants need to have:
- a good command of English language for Academic purposes
- a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
- good ICT skills
- teaching experience is regarded as an advantage
The Summer School Certificate is officially issued by the Faculty of Education of the University of Lapland.
Price for professionals: 600€*
Price for higher education degree students: 400€
Price for University of Lapland students: 85€
*Please consult for group prices
- Training programme as described above
- Programme study materials
- Programme certificates
- Local transportation to programme venues
- Coffees during the programme activities
- Graduation cocktail
Registration and payment HERE
Emilia Ahvenjärvi, emilia.ahvenjarvi(at)ulapland.fi
Marjaana Kangas, marjaana.kangas(at)ulapland.fi
Heli Ruokamo, (Ph.D) is a Professor of Education, specialty in Media Education, at University of Lapland. She is Research Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Education and Director of the Centre for Media Pedagogy. Ruokamo holds a title of Docent of Media Education in the Faculty of Behavioural Sciences at University of Helsinki and Docent of Network-based Learning Environments in Faculty of Education at University of Turku, Finland. Ruokamo has been working for 3 years as a Visiting Scholar at Stanford University’s School of Medicine, Centre for Immersive and Simulation-based Learning, and at H-STAR institute of School of Education. Ruokamo has 15 years of experience in research and development of pedagogical models for online learning and educational use of ICT’s. Her research has focused on mobile and meaningful learning, as well as, playful, game-based, VR, and simulation-based learning environments.
Marjaana Kangas, (Ph.D) is Teacher Educator and University Researcher at University of Lapland. Kangas holds a title of Docent of Playful and Game-Based Learning in the Faculty of Behavioural Sciences at University of Jyväskylä. She is a forerunner of the research on playful learning in pre and primary education in Finland, and a co-developer of a “playful learning environment”, an innovative play and game-based learning environment designed for 21st century learning. Her doctoral dissertation "The School of the Future: Theoretical and Pedagogical Approaches for Creative and Playful Learning Environments" was awarded in 2012. She has worked in many innovative research projects focusing on the best practices for the future schools, playful and game-based pedagogy, children´s agency and wellbeing, among others.