2nd SUMMER SCHOOL ON PLAYFUL LEARNING 2019
University of Lapland, Rovaniemi, Finland
Second Summer School on Playful Learning will be held in 2019 in the exotic Finnish Lapland in the Arctic Circle!
The theme of the Summer School is playful learning and its pedagogy based on research carried out at the University of Lapland. The programme provides research-based knowledge on playful learning pedagogy and an educator toolkit for using play, games and digital technologies in teaching and learning for all ages. The summer school focuses on learning and competences that are crucial in implementing 21st century education.
The surrounding nature plays a central role in this process and here it means a real adventure in the exiting capital of Lapland, in Rovaniemi area.
This international summer school (5 credits) is for teachers, teacher trainers, principals, university students, researchers, policy makers and other educators as well as persons who are interested in the power of play, games and nature in learning.
TIMETABLE AND REGISTRATION
Registration is open until 15th of April!
Organizers will confirm your participation by 30th of April (by email)
Minimum: 17 participants
Online preparatory phase: 20th to 24th May
Training phase: 3rd to 7th June
Total training phase: 20th May to 7th June
Faculty of Education, University of Lapland
More information about the City of Rovaniemi: www.rovaniemi.fi/en
20th to 24th May ONLINE PRE-STUDIES
- Preliminary material and tasks
3rd to 7th June ONSITE TRAINING
(in Rovaniemi, Finland)
- Goals, content, methods and materials for the onsite training
- Introductory lectures: Finnish school in 21st century and playful learning
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 9am–16pm
- Play, games and playfulness in teaching and learning
- Insight into core elements of playful learning
- Design of playful learning processes
Elaboration and Closing
- Reflections and Evaluation
- Recognitions and Certificates of Achievement
WHAT WILL STUDENTS LEARN?
The Summer School enables participants:
- To understand the key features of Finnish Education System and learner-centered approach
- To promote teacher competences e.g. creative, collaborative and digital competences
- To learn the meaning of play and playfulness in curriculum-based learning and learning in all ages
- To develop playful learning processes based on the research-based pedagogical model
- To understand the role of play, games and novel technologies in 21st century education
- To apply playful learning in different educational contexts and levels
- To apply digital applications for playful learning in school and out-of-school contexts
- To enhance playfulness in working life
WHO CAN APPLY?
Participants need to have:
- a good command of English language for academic purposes
- a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field
- good ICT skills
- teaching experience is regarded as an advantage
The Summer School Certificate is officially issued by the Faculty of Education of the University of Lapland.
Price for professionals: 990€*
Price for higher education degree students: 450€
Price for University of Lapland students: 95€
*Please consult for group prices
- Training programme as described above
- Programme study materials
- Programme certificates
- Local transportation to programme venues
- Coffees during the programme activities
- Graduation cocktail
Registration and payment HERE
Marjaana Kangas, marjaana.kangas(at)ulapland.fi
Heli Ruokamo, heli.ruokamo(at)ulapland.fi
Heli Ruokamo, (Ph.D) is a Professor of Education, specialty in Media Education, at University of Lapland. She is Research Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Education and Director of the Centre for Media Pedagogy. Ruokamo holds a title of Docent of Media Education in the Faculty of Behavioural Sciences at University of Helsinki and Docent of Network-based Learning Environments in Faculty of Education at University of Turku, Finland. Ruokamo has been working for 3 years as a Visiting Scholar at Stanford University’s School of Medicine, Centre for Immersive and Simulation-based Learning, and at H-STAR institute of School of Education. Ruokamo has 15 years of experience in research and development of pedagogical models for online learning and educational use of ICT’s. Her research has focused on mobile and meaningful learning, as well as, playful, game-based, VR, and simulation-based learning environments.
Marjaana Kangas, (Ph.D) is Teacher Educator and University Lecturer at University of Lapland. She is an Adjunct Professor of Playful and Game-Based Learning in the Faculty of Behavioural Sciences at University of Jyväskylä. She is a forerunner of the research on playful learning in pre and primary education in Finland, and a co-developer of a “playful learning environment”, an innovative play and game-based learning environment designed for 21st century learning. Her doctoral dissertation "The School of the Future: Theoretical and Pedagogical Approaches for Creative and Playful Learning Environments" was awarded in 2012. She has worked in many innovative research projects focusing on the best practices for the future schools, playful and game-based pedagogy, children´s agency and wellbeing, among others.