The studies Philosophy of science and researcher's skills (20 ECTS) – or more informally joint studies – are open to all ULapland doctoral candidates and constitute a part of the doctoral degree. Joint studies provide doctoral candidates with an ability to independently and critically apply scientific research methods in creating new academic information.
Joint studies are divided into five modules:
1. Scientific thinking and argumentation skills (3–6 ECTS)
2. Orientations in the philosophy of science and methodological starting points (2–6 ECTS)
3. Research ethics (2–6 ECTS)
4. Researcher's skills (2–6 ECTS)
5. Methodological skills (2–6 ECTS)
Kindly note that you should take courses from each module, and the required number of study credits for each module is available in brackets.
One module can have a selection of many courses to choose from or only a couple of options. The modules focus on themes, but courses from different modules can discuss or contain references to the same themes. There is no specific order in which courses should be taken, but individual courses can have recommendations about previous studies. There are courses both in autumn and spring terms in all modules.
We aim to have courses both in English and Finnish. The course description on WebOodi is presented in the language of the course. If the course is implemented in both English and Finnish, the description is available in both language versions of WebOodi.
Read the course descriptions and register for the courses on WebOodi > Instruction and courses > By study guide > Graduate School - Philosophy of science and research skills, 2020-21.
Kindly note the following: if you have registered for a course but find out that you cannot make it, please remember to cancel your registration.
Module 1: Scientific thinking and argumentation skills (3–6 ECTS)
TUKO1277 Tutkimuksen filosofia ja argumentaatio (3 ECTS) Spring 2021. This is an online course organised only in Finnish.
Module 2: Orientations in the philosophy of science and methodological starting points, TUKO1230 (2–6 ECTS)
TUKO1288 Phenomenological method of research (3 ECTS) Spring 2021. Intensive course with visiting scholar Alex Arteaga.
- TUKO1238 Philosophy of social sciences (3 ECTS)
Possibility to participate in the lectures via an online connection. Please contact the teacher beforehand to ask about online connection arrangements.
- TUKO1260 Philosophy of art (3 ECTS) You can take the course either as a book exam or as an essay.
- UMUO1214 Philosophy of science in the realm of art (3 ECTS) Please contact the teacher if you wish to take this course in English.
Module 3: Research ethics, TUKO1231 (2–6 ECTS)
• TUKO1246 Research ethics (2 ECTS) Online course that has been created in collaboration between Finnish universities, and the teacher of the course is dr Henriikka Mustajoki (formerly Clarkeburn).
Module 4: Research skills, TUKO1232 (2–6 ECTS)
TUKO1111 Writing in English (4 ECTS) Spring 2021.
- TUKO1113 Presenting I: the academic audience (3 ECTS) Autumn 2020.
- TUKO1244 Presenting II: unfolding research to various audiences (3 ECTS) Spring 2021.
- TUKO1243 Orientation day for doctoral candidates (1 ECTS) The orientation day took place on 28 August 2020.
- TUKO1245 Presenting and participating in the academic community (3–6 ECTS) You can get the credits by participating in various events organised at different times. Please read the course description carefully.
- TUKO1251 (code changed because of technical reasons, please see TUKO1289)
- TUKO1259 Open science (1 ECTS) National online course, including a contact meeting. Please ask the teacher beforehand if you wish to participate in the contact meeting remotely.
- TUKO1284 Practical training of academic expertise (7–9 ECTS)
- TUKO1287 Career planning for doctoral candidates (2 ECTS)
- TUKO1289 Research: from planning to impact (2 ECTS)
- YMEN1804 Scientific information retrieval (2 ECTS)
Module 5: Methodological skills, TUKO1233 (2–6 ECTS)
- TUKO1240 Webropol course for doctoral candidates (1 ECTS) Online day to take place on 14 September. Please register on WebOodi beforehand and get a Webropol license from Helpdesk (helpdesk(a)ulapland.fi)..
- TUKO1242 ATLAS.ti laadullisen analyysin tukena (2 ECTS) *
- TUKO1261 R programming (2 ECTS) This course will not be organised in academic year 2020–2021.
- TUKO1262 From topic to choice of approach and methodology in empirical research (1 ECTS) This course will not be organised in academic year 2020–2021.
- TUKO1276 Summer school of methodologies (5 ECTS) The summer school in 2020 was cancelled due to the COVID 19 pandemic. We aim to organise the summer school again in August 2021.
- TUKO1278 Qualitative methods: Workshop on narrative, discourse and rhetorical analysis (5 ECTS)
- TUKO1283 Grounded theory (1–2 ECTS) This course will not be organised in academic year 2020–2021.
- UYLE0339 Visual methodologies (3 ECTS) *
- UYLE0301 Introduction to visual analysis (3 ECTS) *
- UKUL1112 Presence of history and the uses of historical knowledge (2 ECTS) *
- UKUL1201 Approaches to cultural history (3 ECTS)
Please contact the course teacher to ask about the possibility to take this course in a language other than Finnish. There are literature examinations for this course.
- UKUL1204 Use of archives and archive documents (2 ECTS) *
- UKUL1227 Analysis and interpretation of archive sources (3 ECTS) *
- UYLE0342 History of design (3 ECTS)
If you’re interested in the course, please contact the course teacher to ask about the possibility to take this course in a language other than Finnish. There are literature examinations for this course.
- SMEN0311 Multivariate data analysis (4 ECTS)
* If you’re interested in the course, please contact the course teacher to ask about the possibility to take this course in a language other than Finnish.