The studies Philosophy of science and researcher's skills (20 ECTS) – or more informally joint studies – are open to all ULapland doctoral candidates and constitute a part of the doctoral degree. Joint studies provide doctoral candidates with an ability to independently and critically apply scientific research methods in creating new academic information.
Joint studies are divided into five modules:
1. Scientific thinking and argumentation skills (3–6 ECTS)
2. Orientations in the philosophy of science and methodological starting points (2–6 ECTS)
3. Research ethics (2–6 ECTS)
4. Researcher's skills (2–6 ECTS)
5. Methodological skills (2–6 ECTS)
Kindly note that you should take courses from each module, and the required number of study credits for each module is available in brackets.
One module can have a selection of many courses to choose from or only a couple of options. The modules focus on themes, but courses from different modules can discuss or contain references to the same themes. There is no specific order in which courses should be taken, but individual courses can have recommendations about previous studies. There are courses both in autumn and spring terms in all modules.
All modules have courses both in English and Finnish. The course description on WebOodi is presented in the language of the course. If the course is implemented in both English and Finnish, the description is available in both language versions of WebOodi.
Read the course descriptions and register for the courses on WebOodi > Instruction and courses > By study guide > Graduate School - Philosophy of science and researcher's skills, 2019-20.
Kindly note the following: if you have registered for a course but find out that you cannot make it, please remember to cancel your registration.
Module 1: Scientific thinking and argumentation skills (3–6 ECTS)
TUKO1277 Tutkimuksen filosofia ja argumentaatio (3 ECTS) Spring 2020. This is an online course organised in Finnish.
- TUKO1285 Research and writing seminar: Justice, politics, society (5 op) Spring 2020. You can take part in the seminar meetings via an online connection, except for the two-day closing seminar.
Module 2: Orientations in the philosophy of science and methodological starting points, TUKO1230 (2–6 ECTS)
TUKO1186 Hermeneutics and phenomenology (3 ECTS) The course is not implemented in academic year 2019–2020.
- TUKO1238 Philosophy of social sciences (3 ECTS)
Possibility to participate in the lectures via an online connection. Please contact the teacher beforehand to ask about online connection arrangements.
- TUKO1260 Philosophy of art (3 ECTS) You can take the course either as a book exam or as an essay.
- UMUO1214 Philosophy of science in the realm of art (3 ECTS) Please contact the teacher if you wish to take this course in English.
Module 3: Research ethics, TUKO1231 (2–6 ECTS)
• TUKO1246 Research ethics (1 ECTS, 2 ECTS) Online course that has been created in collaboration between Finnish universities, and the teacher of the course is dr Henriikka Mustajoki (formerly Clarkeburn). There will be two opportunities to take this course: an online course including a contact teaching day with two study credits, and an online course with one study credit. Please check WebOodi.
Module 4: Research skills, TUKO1232 (2–6 ECTS)
TUKO1111 Writing in English (4 ECTS)
- TUKO1113 Presenting I: the academic audience (3 ECTS)
- TUKO1244 Presenting II: unfolding research to various audiences (3 ECTS)
- TUKO1243 Orientation day for doctoral candidates (1 ECTS) The orientation day will take place on 20 September 2019. Both new and more advanced doctoral candidates are warmly welcome! Registration on WebOodi. Participating through an online connection is also possible.
- TUKO1245 Presenting and participating in the academic community (3–6 ECTS) There is no registration for this course on WebOodi, because you can get the credits by participating in various events organised at different times. Please read the course description carefully.
- TUKO1251 Research: from planning to impact (1 ECTS)
- TUKO1259 Open science (1 ECTS) National online course, including a contact meeting. Please ask the teacher beforehand if you wish to participate in the contact meeting remotely.
- YMEN1804 Scientific information retrieval (2 ECTS)
Module 5: Methodological skills, TUKO1233 (2–6 ECTS)
TUKO1239 Qualitative analysis course (3–4 ECTS)
- TUKO1240 Webropol course for doctoral candidates (1 ECTS)
- TUKO1242 ATLAS.ti laadullisen analyysin tukena (2 ECTS) *
- TUKO1261 R programming (2 ECTS) *
- TUKO1262 From topic to choice of approach and methodology in empirical research (1 ECTS)
- TUKO1276 Summer school of methodologies (5 ECTS)
- TUKO1278 Qualitative methods: Workshop on narrative, discourse and rhetorical analysis (5 ECTS)
- TUKO1283 Grounded theory (1–2 ECTS)
- UYLE0339 Visual methodologies (3 ECTS) *
- UYLE0301 Introduction to visual analysis (3 ECTS) *
- UKUL1112 Presence of history and the uses of historical knowledge (2 ECTS) *
- UKUL1201 Approaches to cultural history (3 ECTS)
Please contact the course teacher to ask about the possibility to take this course in a language other than Finnish. There are literature examinations for this course.
- UKUL1204 Use of archives and archive documents (2 ECTS) *
- UKUL1227 Analysis and interpretation of archive sources (3 ECTS) *
- UYLE0342 History of design (3 ECTS)
If you’re interested in the course, please contact the course teacher to ask about the possibility to take this course in a language other than Finnish. There are literature examinations for this course.
- SMEN0311 Multivariate data analysis (4 ECTS)
* If you’re interested in the course, please contact the course teacher to ask about the possibility to take this course in a language other than Finnish.