The Graduate School recommends that the doctoral candidate and the primary supervisor make a supervising agreement at the beginning of the doctoral path. In addition, you should co-operate to make the doctoral candidate’s personal study plan (in Finnish referred to as JOPS, jatko-opintosuunnitelma). You can combine these two into a single document if it seems useful. Please check and update the content of the document(s) regularly as the doctoral research proceeds.
The guidelines of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK) advise you to agree on at least the following:
• aims of the dissertation
• planned schedule for doctoral studies
• responsibilities, duties and rights of the candidate and supervisor
• studies and how to prepare for supervising meetings
• principles for supervising and frequency of meetings
• solving problems connected with supervising
• authorship in article dissertations and joint articles
• principles for completion and assessment of articles
• collection, use and future use of research data
• third parties participating in the research
• proper procedures from the viewpoint of research ethics in the research
• need for ethical review
• potential double degree and how to complete it.