Would you like to mix local and global and make new friends?
Would you like to get to know new people
from different cultures or offer a window into local culture? We are
looking for local friends for international students coming to the University
for an exchange or to do a degree.
Would you like to get to know the local every day life? Would you like to get introduced to Lapland outside the classrooms? Sign in for Friend programme!
You as a an international student get a chance:
- to get a close look at Finnish culture, habits and everyday life
- to make a local friend who gets in touch regularly
- to feel better if you feel homesick
- to learn some Finnish
- to take part in the activities arranged by the University and Student
Union – playing baseball, taking a sauna and watching Finnish films, to name
just a few.
There’s a lot to gain by becoming a friend.
You can offer the local friends:
- to get to know new cultures and people
- to practice foreign language skills
- to form friendships that will last well after your friends go back to their home
- to take part in events for friends
Sign up to the programme by filling out an electronic form by 2.9.2019. The first meeting will be on Thursday 19.9.2019 at 18:00-20:00 in restaurant Felli, Yliopistonkatu 8.
We will do our best to match the friends and international students on the
basis of language, hobbies and other interests. Please keep in mind that even
though we do our best, not all wishes can be met and you will be meeting a many
layered, real person!
We run the friend programme in
cooperation with the Lapland University of Applied Sciences. The programme
can boast over 300 local participants in the past four years.
For local friends:
Guidebook for local friends (in Finnish)
The application form for local friends is HERE.
For international students:
The application form for international students is HERE.
Guidebook for international students
Tel. +358 40 500 9734
Tel. +358 40 530 7103