When, what, where?
Going abroad to study involves a lot of hard questions. The first things you should ask yourself are: What language can I get by in? Whereabouts in the world do I want to go? At what point in my degree would work? Want do I want to study? What kind of work do I want to do?
Look at the mobility guidelines for your faculty in My Global Story guide
When to apply?
Application periods for the exchange are for the next academic year
Bilateral universities outside of Europe:
• application period: 15 October – 15 November
• Decisions made by 15 December
European institutions through the Erasmus+, Nordplus, Nordlys, as well as the destinations of North2North and FIRST programmes
• application period: 15 December – 31 January
• Decisions made by 28 February
Additional call for still available destinations (only Spring semester for the next academic year)
• application period: 1 May – 31 May
• Decisions made by 30 June
Choose where to go
The host institutions for your faculty or major are listed in the guide My Global Story. More detailed descriptions are available in the SoleMOVE system.
Before the exchange
Apply at the University of Lapland
Apply for an exchange electronically through the SoleMOVE system
1. Take a closer look at the directions for applying in the guide My Global Story
2. Begin the application process by choosing the appropriate type of mobility and exchange period. Check the call for applications.
3. Remember the following required attachments
• Learning Agreement - before mobility
• Transcript of Records
• letter of motivation
• language certificate.
Wait for the results from the University of Lapland
The University of Lapland chooses the applicants to be selected for the different host universities. The criteria are presented in detail in the guide My Global Story. You will be informed of the University’s decision by email.
Attend the orientation
When you have been recorded as an applicant for an exchange, you will receive an invitation to a compulsory orientation session, where you’ll get help with the application process, planning exchange studies, applying for a grant and taking care of the other paperwork involved.
Apply to the host university
1. Wait for directions on applying, which will come from the Internationalisation Services or directly from the host university.
2. Update your Learning Agreement and ask the Internationalisation Services to sign it.
3. Apply to the host university in accordance with the directions you have received.
Wait for the results from the host university
The host university makes the final decision on which applicants are accepted. If selected, you will receive a letter of acceptance within about a month of the application deadline.
Apply for a mobility grant
All students going on an exchange through agreements made by the University of Lapland receive a grant.
• Log into the SoleGRANT program through the SoleMOVE system. The details of your exchange will be updated automatically and used as the basis of your grant application
• Scan and attach the letter of acceptance and the (Learning Agreement) signed by 3 parties
• If you are going to Erasmus+ exchange please do the OLS language assesment and scan and attach the completed grant application (Erasmus+ Grant Agreement).
• If you are going to Nordplus exchange and you will receive the grant from University of Lapland, please attach the Nordplus Confirmation Form.
• You will be informed of the decision by email when your application has been processed.
- allows the Learning Agreement to be prepared online
- shared with both the home and host universities and be signed electronically
- Fill in the mandatory information,
ISCED codes in the next slide
- Home University:
- University of Lapland can be found by pressing "CHOOSE"
- Choose country: "Finland" and as higher education institution: "UNIVERSITY OF LAPLAND".
- Faculty/Department: Your faculty at ULapland
- Contact person: Päivi Martin (EDU & LAW) / Jaana Severidt (ART & SOC)
- Email of coordinator must be put in this form: email@example.com
- Phone: +358 40 484 4496
- Host University:
- Your host university can be found by pressing "CHOOSE"
- Choose the country and host institute
- Add the faculty/unit
- The name and contact information for the host universities incoming coordinator can be found on their website
- Add the courses you wish to be approved
- Sign the Learning Agreement, and send it to the next person responsible
Erasmus+ Mobile App
Erasmus+ Appin allows you to:
- • Follow the progress of your Learning Agreement
- Get information about the home and host universities and about the
destination ie. notices from the student organisations (local ESN section)
& previous student experiences
- Connected to OLS
- Common information about Erasmus+ programme
- Find the app in Google Plays ja Apple store
Online Linguistic Support
OLS is an online language learning environment for Erasmus + participants. In the OLS environment, you can test your current proficiency in the language you will use during your stay abroad. Your test result will not affect the completion of your exchange.
What does it offer?
- Language assessments and language courses online
- You can study at your own pace and adapt the study to your own needs
- OLS gives you a wide range of opportunities to develop your language skills.